DMA 802S: Data Curation and Management Plans 3 CREDITS
This course builds on Data Literacy and Mining to improve data documentation and preparation for analyses. It is intended to enhance proper storage and archiving of data for organizations and to ensure increase in the reuse of data collected.
Students should be able to:
- Prepare data for archiving and preservation and institute strategies for promoting the reuse of data.
- Cure data and provide documentation of datasets
- Rescue abandoned data sets as a result of poor documentation and improper archiving.
Topics to be covered in this course include data review processing, curation and publication. In addition, essentials for preparing data management plans either for personal research or as a means of meeting funding requirements will be taught.
- Ray, J. M. (2014). Research Data Management: Practical Strategies for Information Professionals. Purdue University Press.
Suggested Reading List
- Getler, M. (2012). Managing Research Data. Facet Publishing
- • Karasti, H., Baker, K. S. & Halkola, E. (2006). Enriching the notion of data curation in e-science: data managing and information infrastructuring in the long term ecological research (LTER) network. Computer Supported Cooperative Work (CSCW), 15(4), 321-358.