DMA 804S: Qualitative Data Analysis 3 CREDITS
This course introduces students to the field of qualitative data analysis for research and prepares them in the skills, techniques, and knowledge necessary to undertake independent research using this methodology.
Students should be able to:
- Appreciate the history and development of qualitative research methodology
- Apply qualitative techniques in engaging in research
- Understand subjectivity, role, access, and ethics in qualitative research studies.
The course examines the various philosophical assumptions underlying qualitative research methods, their implication for framing research problems/questions, data collection techniques, analysis, conclusion and dissemination of findings of qualitative research.
- Freeman, M. (2016). Modes of Thinking for Qualitative Data Analysis. Routledge
Suggested Reading List
- Creswell, J. (2013). Qualitative inquiry and research design: Choosing among five approaches (3rd ed.). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- Dey, I. (2003). Qualitative data analysis: A user friendly guide for social scientists. Routledge.
- Grbich, C. (2013). Qualitative data analysis: An introduction (2nd ed.). London, UK: Sage.